Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Have you ever thought of yourself as a 'BAND-AID'?

Have you ever been a 'BAND-AID' to your child?

More importantly, has your child tried to forgive and forget? Has she or he been successful?


“Why did you leave me and go to her house?” My son sounded devastated as he came up the steps, his friend following him.
“They called me for snacks. My mom was there too. So I went.” Dev was not convinced. That his friend alone was invited and he was forgotten obviously hurt him. He picked up his recent most acquisition, a tool set, complete with hammers and spanners. Dangling it right before Ravi’s nose, he triumphantly declared – “My papa got it for ME from U.S.. I’m never going to share this with you!”
Not to be outdone, Ravi promptly took up his long-forgotten badminton racket from Dev’s toy basket, retaliating, “This is MINE, not yours!” So the battle had begun…..it was almost time for adult intervention.
Dev and Ravi are next-door neighbours and soulmates….well, almost. Their families stay in the same apartment. The kids’ screams and laughter on every holiday they share keep our building alive.
Ravi’s mother rushed in, blissfully unaware of the latest in the series of hot-and-cold sessions of the two pals. Giving me a hurried account of their busy day ahead, Sona coaxed her son away for lunch. Her timing could not have been better.
My four-year old looked up at me, his eyes two small pools about to overflow. He has always refused to accept that he too has been equally disloyal to Ravi in the past, leaving him alone during peak hours of their play sessions to attend birthday parties, armed with full knowledge that cute return gifts’ awaited him there. The issue of why his bosom friend had separated from him voluntarily on a holiday lay unresolved. And the risk of Saturday lunch slipping away from being the usual family event loomed large. The occasion demanded that I help my son through this heart-breaking episode. Taking up the challenge, I said…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………....................................................................................................................................................................................
"A crestfallen mother had to reluctantly accept the truth – I was only the hurriedly put “band-aid”. Dev’s “cut” actually healed with the magic word “Sorry” from his buddy.
As I leant back in my armchair, peals of laughter of two happy souls from the lawn came floating up to me. I smiled at my
selfishness (How could I be pleased with their fighting!?) and my foolishness (How could I even think of replacing Ravi!?).
I took up my long-pending book, relieved that my son is finally learning to forgive and forget, but staying prepared to serve as a band-aid once again, just in case he felt the need for it anytime.
As long as mothers existed, there will never be a dearth of these special “band-aids” in this world!


You can grab a copy of my book 'Rays and Rains' from flipkart to find out how you too can be a BAND-AID.....
http://www.flipkart.com/rays-rains-colourful-diary-life-journey-parents-children-english/p/itmefspxbpnpyvsu?pid=9781482833638&otracker=from-search&srno=t_5&query=rays+and+rains&ref=5a40d318-c780-42d6-a039-a51b8aea907d


No comments:

Post a Comment